Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Stage Names

Have you ever thought of changing your name?  Most artist have considered creating a stage name at least once in their career.  Well the other day I was thinking of a stage name that would suit me.  Years ago I did a show where we had to create our own character's name.  So, as I was thinking of what my stage name could be I thought of the character name I'd used before...but then I realized that part of that name was already taken by another artist (which just happens to be their real last name).  There are artist who choose to use their birth name, some create and take on a stage name, some use parts of their birth name instead of using the full name, and some fall somewhere in the middle.  In the end and beginning it's all gonna be about the name.  When an artist first hits the scene and if they're really hot the first thing we want to know is what's their name.  In the same way, when a group of people get together recollecting the best artist back in the day, it's the name that lives on.  All you have to do is say Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, The Five Heartbeats, Celine Deion, and you smile, because you remember the name that has so many great works attached to it.  

I take that back and forgive me for rambling, but as I write I'm clear that yes, the name matters, but it's the great collection of a person's work that matters most.  Work that has inspired, motivated, and empowered others in some way.  It's the greatness of the work that will always cause the masses to remember the name.  So while a name selection is important, make sure you perfect the craft, because the craft is what's gonna make the name last forever.  

~Dee  

No comments:

Post a Comment