Friday, February 18, 2011

Don’t Settle!

I came to the realization this year, and yes I know we are only in month two of 2011, that there is a major difference between settling and being content. Settling for something is the decision to take the next best thing and not what you really want. Being content can mean being grateful for what you have in the present moment. Being content with what you currently have is a choice to be happy and being happy is a great state to be in. You can settle for the next best thing and not be content with your decision or the outcome which will make you unsatisfied. The older we get the more important the decisions we make are and the decision to settle can cost you years of regret. It is hard to wait for the right opportunity to come along.

I went shopping with a friend and she was looking for a particular type of boot. We went to several stores and by store number three I told her to find a pair of boots and settle. She replied, “but it is not the right pair”. We went to several more stores until finally she found the right pair of boots. I bought a pair as well. The thing is that the decision didn’t matter that much to me and I was impatient. I wanted to get it done, accomplish the mission. I’m a problem solver and not a problem prolonger. What I got from that experience is that patience is a virtue for a reason. 

Can you wait and research until you find the man, car, house, dog, job, or meal that you are looking for  or will you get frustrated and pick something aka settle. Now the truth is the pair of boots I bought were perfect for my friend, but weren’t for me. I still hadn’t found my perfect pair of boots. I just purchased the boots because my feet were cold and she was happy and I was tired. Making other people happy and taking the second best thing because it makes the other person happy is another problem. 

This year I am focusing on what makes me happy. What are the things that I really want?  How do I really want to be treated by others? What type of relationships do I want to create with people? I think creating a list of no’s will help. That is a great exercise for everyone to do. It can apply to anything. Maybe you want a meaningful relationship this year, well being somebody’s “cut buddy” is a big fat NO. If you want to be a certain weight then don’t settle for ten pounds bigger than your goal weight. Getting what you want takes some work. 

Your actions mean everything. If you want something, then you have to act like it. Words are powerful, but your actions will close the deal. Maybe when you achieve a goal you may realize you don’t want it, but knowing that is better than settling. You are greatness because you are a part of God who is great. He wants the best and he wants the best for you. I’m worth it – Say it three times to yourself in the mirror until you believe.

* And it doesn't mean that you are being difficult :)
Blessings,

~ Chi

No comments:

Post a Comment