Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Don't Rush Me To The Finish Line...Tell Me To Slow Down!!!

Patience. Webster defines it as the capacity, habit, or fact of being patient (not hasty).  How often have you found yourself at a place of frustration and for one reason or another allowed this frustration to cause you to act hastily?  Sometimes waiting is the best choice; however, because we sometimes lack the patience to wait, we choose second best.  We choose the lesser option and always wonder what it would have been like had we just gone with our first choice.  Whenever you decide to choose the road of impatience you lose sight of the big picture.  You lose your vision.  You lose your goal.  You choose the hasty path, and often find yourself consumed with trying to find a way to accomplish what was originally your first choice.

Have you ever found yourself racing against time?  Your destination is the finish line, your purpose is very clear and you're determined to accomplish what you set out to do.  Even if it means choosing the lesser option because you're too impatient to wait.  Last week I found myself in this scenario.  I didn’t want to spend the next couple of months waiting to accomplish my desired goal, so I decided to go with the next best option.  I wanted something quick, fast, and instant results.  And so within a week I got exactly what I set out for-second best, and although second was still a fairly good option, it was a far cry from first. 

So what happened with me and my glorious second-best prize?  God+Wisdom led me to patience.  I have a leadership bible and Sunday as I found a scripture I was turning to, beneath it read the following:

Vision:  Great Leaders Never Lose Sight of the Big Picture.

 It instantly grabbed my attention and the next thought that came to mind was "What are you doing?!", followed by "That's not what you want!".  So I sat there, read the passage, read it again, and thought "What have I done?"  I realized that although I didn't want to wait, for several different reasons, the best thing for me to do was WAIT AND ACCOMPLISH MY GOAL, MY VISION.  

So I'm happy to say that my impatience and hastiness cost me $50. Lol- Really!  I'm happy I only lost $50 instead of an entire year of a lost goal.  I can truly say that had I followed through with my second option, I would have spent this entire year, complaining about how horrible it was and trying my best to find a way back to my first choice.  Lesson learned:  Have Patience and Wait, Reminding Yourself Each Day That You're Closer To The Finish Line!

Still Patiently Waiting,
~DeAndrea

No comments:

Post a Comment