Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I Can't Do It

I've never been a runner, well, let me rephrase and say I've never liked running or jogging for sport.  Whenever I'd run there was something in my mind that always told me "Girl you are tired and you need to stop."  So that's what I'd do.  Stop.  Each time my mind told me I was tired, even if I could physically continue, my mind would always win and I would stop.  Well a little over a year ago I participated in a bootcamp.  This guy was crazy-we were running up hills, crawling down hills, doing abs and arm circuits all the while running nonstop.  Lol.  The first day you would've thought I'd never ran a day in my life.  I mean I would run for maybe 2 minutes, stop, start walking, start running again for maybe 2 minutes, stop, and start walking.  It was a mess!  However, the drive in me to push thru this battle I've always had with running kicked in and there I was the next Saturday, finding myself attending a 2nd bootcamp, and a 3rd and so on.

So one day while running at bootcamp once again my mind told me to stop.  I began to slow down, but then I told my mind no and I just ran faster.  It was unbelievable-like I'd said abracadabra and created a twin who jumped from behind a tree to finish for me!  And I ran until I got to the next post.  I completed the circuit and when it was time to start running, I just took off!  I realized that if I ran faster, I could just get it over with.  I also didn't allow my mind to tell me to stop because I was telling myself go, go, keep going!...and guess what....I made it to the next post without stopping!  And there I was, doing something I'd always told myself I couldn't do...run without stopping every other minute.  Now, over a year later, you most likely won't find me at bootcamp on Saturdays, and no, running still isn't one of the things I love to do most.  But if you asked me to go to a bootcamp or participate in leading one or even if you just asked me to go jogging, there's not a hater in the back of my mind telling me to say no because I won't be able to finish.  Why am I now able to say I can vs. I can't?  It's because I simply told myself that I could instead of telling myself that I couldn't.  Yes, as simple as that.

I share this experience for those who may have an area where they automatically think to themselves "I can't do it-nope, not me."  When those "can't" moments pop-up, tell yourself Yes, I Can.  And maybe it won't happen like it always does in the movies where all of a sudden BAM it's immediately conquered!  It may actually take a little time to fully complete what you've always believed you can't do.  Regardless of how much time it may take, once you believe you can do it, You'll Do It.

All things are possible, to him who believes! [ Mark 9:23 (Amplified) ]

~DeAndrea

No comments:

Post a Comment