Monday, October 18, 2010

Deal or no Deal

The people you partner up with have a powerful effect in determining your success. Which do you place greater value on when choosing a business partner: their character or their record of success?  Lately I’ve found myself paying less attention to how successful a person appears to be, and focusing more on the person’s character.  In general most people start businesses to make a profit, lately I’ve had to confront situations where people wanted to make a profit or handled business dealings in ways I don’t totally agree with.  So here’s the question: what is considered crossing the line in business relationships?  Is it when someone intentionally interferes with you making a profit so that they can make the bigger profit?  Some would be quick to answer by saying “But making a profit is why you start a business”!  And this is true-your goal is to always have a positive cash flow at the end of the day.  However, along with having the extra cash, I have to be real and just say I prefer working with honest people.  People who love what they do, who love to be successful, and love to help others become successful.  The last situation I want to find myself in is a business relationship with someone who desires me to be successful, as long as my success doesn’t surpass theirs. I also never want to be the person blocking or standing in the way of how successful a person can become. Proverbs 13:11 says "Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow."  So with all of this being said I'll answer my own question:  When choosing a business partner I'll place the greater value on their character.  Why?  Simply because I like honesty and will always choose truthfulness over deception. Plus with hard work and a great business plan success will always follow.  Besides the idea of having to split money and attend business meetings with someone I don't trust is like falling asleep only to find Freddy Krueger waiting for me, and I'm no longer a fan of scary movies!

~Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment