Thursday, October 14, 2010

You Aint Got No Kids

The conversation went something like this:
Female: You aint got no kids?
Answer: No
Female: What you waiting til you get married?
Answer: Yes.

Her face gave an array of mixed thoughts and emotions as if she wanted to maybe say one of the following:  "Why you aint got no kids, girl what's wrong with you?"; "You in your 20s and aint got no kids, dang that's messed up?"; "So you gon have kids or what?"  Lol.  Ok seriously, when did it become the norm that you're supposed to have kids in your teens or your 20s and have them before you get married?  Today I just couldn't help but think not once did she ask if I was married- I'm not wearing a ring, but the only thing she thought of that was out of place was the fact that I've apparently been able to not have a child and I'm in my 20s....her face was shocked!  She looked like she wanted to scream BFNK, BFNK-Black Female with No Kids!  Danger Alert, Danger Alert....lol.  I don't know if it's the norm for other races but I'm actually tired of always having to be stereotyped.  Yes, we may have teen pregnancy in our society, but not ALL black women get pregnant at an early age.  I don't believe this has become a standard amongst ourselves, where we feel that we should have babies, married or not, at a younger age.  I mean most black girls don't say "Hmmm I'm 16, I think I'll get pregnant."  I must say those I do know who have had children while they were younger I have to applaud because most of them have done a remarkable job, regardless of whether they had help from family and friends.

So today I just had to shout out and declare N'all folk, I aint got no kids!  LOL. And you know what, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.  In fact for the moment I think it's ABSOLUTELY right!  And who knows, maybe in the future I'll be signing off as BFMWK (u figure it out), until then BFNK signing off.  ;)

~Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment